About Susan’s Classes . . .
During a one hour yoga class, you will learn a variety of yoga poses (asanas) such as:
- warm up stretches to help you avoid injury and prepare your body for your physical and mental exercises while staying alert to your inner body messages,
- gentle supine and sitting twist poses to increase your body temperature and blood flow while breathing deeply to nourish your muscles,
- invigorating standing poses to increase your heart rate and metabolism to strengthen muscles in your legs, hips, abdomen, chest, shoulders, arms and back,
- standing balance poses to strengthen muscles of your legs, ankles and feet, to encourage lengthening and alignment of your spinal column and improved overall core strength in order to remain balanced in changing circumstances,
- sitting poses to start your cool down towards final relaxation (Shavasana), to gently stretch your back, chest, legs, arms and neck,
- supine poses (on your back) to reduce stress and promote flexibility, to stimulate your nervous system and some endocrine glands, to aid digestion and energize your mind,
- breathing (pranayama) is used to intensify the effects of a yoga pose. Variations of conscious breathing are taught so you can move deeper into a pose, provide fuel to your muscles and relax your nervous system,
- Shavasana (final relaxation) to totally relax your body and mind while breathing deeply in and out of your nose.
This one hour practice is a gentle yet energizing exercise which creates awareness of mind and body through deep breathing and proper body alignment during yoga poses.